Lung burn and butter

The first race of the year never fails to amaze me at how hard racing a bike is! This weekend the season kicked off for me and the luna team with the first US national series race in Fontana, California. A huge Canadian contingent showed for both the pro mens and women's fields and we definately put the pressure on the us riders. Every one is riding riduculously fast.

The women's race got off to a fast start with my teammate Georgia Gould setting the pace followed closely by Katerina. My start was descent, but I got in a bit of a traffic snarl and had to dig hard when the course opened up to move into 3rd just ahead of Wendy Simms. For most of the race we stayed in that order. Georgia off the front with a gap to Katerina, another gap to me and another to Wendy who was joined every lap by a new rider who never managed to stick with her. I tried to get a gap every lap on the climbs only to be reeled in on the flat section leading to the finish. 1.5hrs in the race was still super tight for the top 10 and I was feeling some definite pressure. Climbing and descending last lap I kept trying to widen the gap on wendy, knowing I was in for some dissappointment if it came down to a sprint. Unfortunately for me Wendy caught me with 50m to go and grabbed 3rd. I finished 4th and Emily Batty rode to a awesome 5th place making it 3 canadians on the podium. It was such a wicked hard race with only 4 minutes separating 2nd to 9th place-which incidently was Mical Dyck who is also riding crazy awesome. Amanda Sin finished 14th and Catherine Vipong 16th. Yeehaa! New Mom Danelle Kabush rode to 23.

On the men's side Kabush won, Plaxton was 3rd, Sneddon 6th and Ricky 7th. There were 16-18 canucks in the pack all riding strong.

Comments

Popular Posts