Recently this article appeared in the Globe and Mail
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/pendrel-ponders-her-inexplicable-performance/article4581068/

I wanted to correct a wording in this text.  The author chose to use the word overtraining, not the word I would have chosen which was under resting.  To some this may seem an insignificant difference, but it is actually quite significantly different.

 My training plan was solid, but my desire to improve made me feel doing more was important, because all high performers feel there is always something they could be doing better.  We are rarely satisfied with good. I feel I sacrificed some of the quality of planned rest days/weeks and probably started training too intently too early, but again this is hindsight and there are SOOO many factors.

Pendrel now believes her problems involved overtraining and not handling the pressure leading up to the Games. She blames no one but herself. “I was healthy and I was fast. I just wasn’t as fast as I needed to be. I just reached a point where I just wasn’t getting faster.”

When you are training through normally key events like world cups and always looking ahead it is easy to put the blinders on to the present.  You aren't expecting to feel your best till the big day, but are confident you will on that day.  Basically it came down to giving 98% or 102%.  98% wins medals, but it is easy to push for 102% with the desire to win.

Comments

Popular Posts